Monday, May 5, 2008

Let the Race Begin!

GET YO FIVE IN CONTEST
Yup, the contest starts today! Here is a re-cap of what is going down.

Get five verses in a day and let me know! I will then enter your name into a drawing to win a $15 LifeWay Bookstore Gift Card!

Rules:

1. For everyday you accomplish the task, I will put your name in a drawing.

2.I will place an extra entry into the bowl for reading more than five verses a day.

3.I will place an extra entry in for people you refer to my site WHO LEAVE A COMMENT.

You must write down the verses you read for that day in your comment and leave me one sentence comment about why you read those verses or what they taught you.So, in a day, you could get up to three entries into the bowl!


Now, about spiritual stuff.

I really think I am gonna stick on this James 1:19 stuff for 2-3 more weeks. I need more time to be really victorious at living out this verse. I mean, I need to always be living it, but to make it a habit of living, I really think I need a few more weeks to get it into my brain. I am not asking you to study the same verse or work on your anger management issues, just find something you need to work on and read the Bible and let it mold you into the image of Christ. I want to hear what you are working on and how you do with it. I want stories. I want us encouraging each other to be 'imitators of Christ'(Ephesians 5:1).

Here are two more things:

1. I want to make Wednesday 'Question of the Day'. That's right, feel free to ask the tough questions. I can't promise that I will always have the answer, but I want this blog to be one where people feel free to question and be honest about their relationship with Christ.

2. Fridays will be 'Prayer Request' Day. Post your prayer requests and let's, as a group, lift up these prayers during the weekend time off.

Lastly, for those who might be working on the James 1:19 thing with me, here are some verses that I have cross-referenced that deal with that verse and give more insight and direction as to how we should be in this area: Proverbs 15:1, 3, 5b, 18, 24, 26b, 31, 33. Proverbs 14:29, Ecclesiastes 10:4, Proverbs 16:32, Proverbs 19:11, Ecclesiastes 7:9, Matthew 5:44, Luke 6:27, Romans 12:20-21, Ephesians 4:32, etc, etc.

Enjoy, pass the word and get of five in!! Looking forward to hearing from everybody!

NChrist,
Susan

7 comments:

Margaret S. said...

Today's reading: Psalm 40:1-17(NAS) The Psalms always give me comfort and encouragement; they also inspire prayer. I often use David's words as my prayer because they so often fit exactly where I am. Prayer: May it please God to rescue me from the things that place a barrier between us, to restore to me the joy of His salvation, and rebuild my trust and faith in His plan.

Anonymous said...

Cool! Can SEAL students participate in this contest or is it restricted????????????

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Mom, as usual, you rock! Always a source of wisdom and truly fantastic insights! Love you mom!

Bradley, yes, yes, bring on the SEALS students!! That would be so radical. I would be willing to let them do it, as long as you or they send me the verses they read and 1. why they read those verses OR 2. one or two sentences about what they learned! I love this idea, bring it!

Healthy Chelle said...

I read the second half of 1 Samuel 18 today, verses 15-30.

I am trying to learn more about the famous people of the Bible so that I won't be so in the dark when my Christian friends talk "Bible Talk" :)

I love how Jonathan's friendship with David was more important to him than his father's approval.

Got an entry for your question of the day. It might have been brought up during the Truth Project, but if it did I missed it.

In 1 Samuel 18:10 it talks about an evil spirit from God. This really confuses me. If evil is contrary to God's character than how can an evil spirit come from God?

Love what you're doing!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I decided to start with James (thanks for the advice), and I'm already fascinated. I read James 1: 1-11 and I stopped at the second verse to repeat it in my head. It says: Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

pure joy!! I am in the midst of summer classes and I am going to be up to my head in 'trials' for the next few weeks. It never occured to me to feel joyous in these situations. I will be challenging myself with this goal this week.

I'd say I'm off to a good start, thanks for the challenge!

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Thanks to everybody who paticipated in the first day of the contest! Michelle, thanks for the question. Your question has been a similar one of mine for years now. I just need to research it more. I read some good stuff on www.bible.org tonight. It mentioned that God is Sovereign(all powerful, in control) and thus, he does give permission for evil. He does not create it, but does allow it for our testing and refinement. However, I am still perplexed at the wording 'an evil spirit FROM God'. I mean, why does it not say 'allowed from God' that would totally be cool with my theology. But, 'FROM' or 'SENT' isn't kosher. I have learned this much though from years from studying the word of God. God will answer, whether with the answer or with a contentment in not understanding it all and being okay with that, knowing that those verses don't nullify who He is. I look forward to going to Lifeway tommorow to read some commentaries and my mom is working on it too!

Is it Ashley?? AMt822 I am so excited that you are reading James! It totall rocks and I esp. love James 1:5, I always used that verse when I was taking tests at Bible College. I knew I had to do my part in studying, but I also knew the other part of the equation. He gives wisdom generously to those who ask for it and don't doubt! I was always blessed with rememberence of the material I needed to spew out for a test! I am excited to see what God will keep teaching you!

Anonymous said...

As usual cool idea!I'm gonna win the $15!!!!!Well better start winning...I mean reading!!See you Wed. Susan!!!

Taylor!!!!