Thursday, May 8, 2008

The Word is full of wisdom

Yesterday, I was reading over the verses that I have researched for my anger stuff with James 1:19. I am just amazed at what wisdom is in the Word of God. Check it out:

Proverbs 14:29 He who is slow to anger has great understanding, But he who is quick tempered exalts folly.

(I desire to be a wise-walker, and I really don't feel like being one who exalts folly. Yeesh.)

Proverbs 16:32 He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and He who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.

(That is a radical verse! Being slow to anger results in being better than someone who is mighty. And one who rules his spirit is better than someone who captures a city! Back in the day and even now, I think being mighty and capturing cities are highly favored among people. It's all about being the best, but God's wisdom is always opposite. He says, 'hey you, you want to be mighty? Then guess what, be slow to anger and rule your spirit. Wow. Totally counter-cultural!)

Proverbs 19:11 A man's discretion makes him slow to anger, and it is his glory to overlook a transgression.

(OVERLOOK A TRANSGRESSION, are you serious! Wow, this one hit me like a ton of bricks yesterday! It is to someone's GLORY that they overlook an offense. Whoa. That is some deep stuff. But, it makes sense, that if you are slow to anger, that, that part of the verse will be do-able. This is why I desire to be slow to anger, instead of easily angered. I desire to not be a fool. I desire to be mighty God's way. I desire to overlook a transgression. )

God's Word is rich with wisdom and it is truly teaching me things that are transforming.

How is God word teaching you and what are you learning and putting into practice??


P.S. Keep encouraging your friends to participate in the Get Yo Five In contest. I took the 'anonymous comment' block off. So anybody can leave a comment now. I know that was holding some people back, so feel free to leave comments now:) Plus, there is one family out there reading this blog who have three people reading Scripture. So, everyday they are getting 3 entries into the contest, so I encourage all of you out there, get your families involved. See if your husbands, wives, or children are interested, that way you get more entries in the drawing as a family and you grow in the wisdom of the Word. Plus, I would be glad to count one entry if you read 5 verses to your children who aren't reading yet.

Remember, tommorow is Prayer Request Day, so be thinking about something we could be praying with you about during the weekend.

Thanks and have a great day!

NChrist, Susan

4 comments:

Healthy Chelle said...

Shame on me for not getting my five on yesterday!

Starting anew today!!

I went to and read Proverbs 31 this morning.

I was not slow to speak to my husband earlier this week and with my PMS attitude I quickly told him that something he was planning on doing was "stupid".

Verse 12 really, really turned the guilt on!

"She comforts, encourages, and does him only good as long as there is life within her."

OUCH!

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Girl, I hear ya! It is amazing to me how the Word of God is able to show us where we went wrong. But, like my friend meesh said in another blog, 'thank goodness for forgivness!' Where would we be without forgiveness! Yeesh, that is a scary thought. Hey, you should read some of those verses to your girls and I would be glad to put an entry in the drawing for them as well. I added a new rule for parents who read to their children!!

Margaret S. said...

Psalm43-44 David and he nation of Israel are experiencing defeats on the battle field. David is constantly calling out to his God....He recognizes that all their strength and victories come from the Lord. I am always amazed at the language David uses in his prayers.....blunt and to the point. He asks questions, but often he knows the answers already. Just being honest with God is an eye-opener. As a side-note I'd like to remind us that anytime we learn a spiritual lesson, even though God may use another person to help direct us, the true spiritual growth ALWAYS comes as the result of our hearts being ready to learn....and the true teacher is ALWAYS the Holy Spirit. To God be the Glory!!

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Your right mom, about the fact that true growth comes from a heart that is ready and willing to learn. Last night at youth group, I had the HighSchoolers and I love them. But, I when I was done I was just thinking to myself, 'it just doesn't seem like they want to learn.' I am hoping and desperately praying that our youths hearts will desire to learn more about the Word and about God and will live it among their friends and family. Especially among those they go to school with. I know and believe that God can use them in mighty ways and sometimes I wonder if they realize that about themselves.