Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How did they do it?

As I was reading my 'anger' verses I came upon Proverbs 15:1 'A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger'. I thought about this verse and then I started to think about people in the bible who I felt were a good example of living out the first part of that verse. My mind wandered to Joseph. This was the dude who was sold to a traveling caravan of Egyptians by his own brothers. Then in Egypt, he worked for Potiphar and he was put in charge of many things in Potiphars house. However, Potiphars wife was a drama-mama who really wanted to get in the bed with Joseph. He resistes temptation, and well, that ticks her off. She is able to tear a piece of cloth off of Josephs tunic and later uses that as evidence to Potiphar that Joseph tried to rape her. So, Joseph gets put in jail. He is in there for a little while, being a great witness to those around him. He is put in charge of things in the jail. He helps two people get out of jail, because he interpreted the dream of the Pharoah, Unfortunately, those two people had used Joseph to interpret the dreams so they could get out, when in all reality it was Joseph who was the one who deserved to be set free. Well, Pharoah has another dream and one of the guys let go, tells Pharoah that Joseph is down there and can interpret the dream. Joseph interprets the dream, is released and is put in charge of many things in Egpyt. There comes a famine in his home land and his brothers have to come to Egpyt to get supplies and food. They are put before Joseph, they have no idea its him, but Joseph knows its them. He does not get angry. Instead he tests them and they return and it is then that Joseph reveals himself.

Wow, what a history! Joseph amazes me. Here would have been my story:
Susan gets sold by her family. She ends up at Potiphars house, grumbles around, gets thrown in jail for sloppy work. While in jail, gets bitter. Interprets the dreams, then gets really bitter at the two guys who did her wrong with the 'dreams' issue. Finally, gets to interpret Pharoahs dream, does it rightly. Then while in office, takes revenge on Potiphar, his wife, the two dudes and then makes his brothers slaves. Now this is very embellished, but it just goes to show that I would not be thinking to be as nice as Joseph was.

However, that is why I believe Joseph is a part of history, especially recorded in the Bible. His example is one worth following. One that you don't see very often these days. I know what my old nature, my sin nature wants to fall into! But, I am a saved woman of God who has the seal of the Holy Spirit within her. The Holy Spirit resides in all who believe. Only with the power of God and the prompts of the HOly Spirit can I follow the example the Joseph, let alone the example of Christ. Like Joseph, I need to be reminded that those who do not know Christ won't act like Christ and I don't need to hope against hope that they will seek to treat me well. I don't need to be surprised when they, like the two dudes in the story above, do me wrong for personal gain. However, it does not mean that I get bitter and do them the way they did me! Boy, if that were true, then Jesus would have let me take on my own cross. Yet, instead He took the cross for me, doing something for me that I did not deserve. That is our example folks, and it is a hard one. But, you know what, God looked down on Joseph and obviously granted him favor and blessings and freedom! Joseph knew to trust God and to endure. That word 'endure' is not heavily used in our vocabulary anymore. When it gets too hot or the pressure comes, we give up and we especially give up on the power of God to get us through. I am guilty of this too! But, I say, enough, I AM different and I need to live different. If I say I am a CHRISTian then I need to just suck it up and live like the one I say I follow; Christ. I am imperfect and in desperate need daily to let Christ do what He sees best. He obviously wants me to work on this anger thing and to learn how to deal with annoying people wisely, how to deal with those who cut me off on the road, learn how to love those who are absolutely unlovable. Because my life is now all about giving God the Glory and that is so worth it to me, because of what He did on the Cross for me and what He daily does for me!! Wooh, I am all fired up, can you tell.

So, folks, go out there and work on the hard things in your life.

1. Keep making time for Him, He's so totally worth it!
2. Get Yo Five in!
3. Go and Apply those five verses to your day, to your week, to your month!

You all totally rock my socks off and I am totally thankful for all of you who are participating in this blog!

See ya tommorow

NChrist, Susan

11 comments:

Healthy Chelle said...

I would probably do the same thing as you if I were in Joseph's place. I love his story!

I started reading 1 Samuel 19 and couldn't stop! I love how David's wife takes a home decor item and some goat hair and makes it look like David is sleeping in bed to trick Saul's men.

David had so many people on his side that God was using to help protect him. How could a man as powerful as Saul have such a hard time finding David? Go GOD :)

Margaret S. said...

Today's reading: Psalm 41:1-13 Yesterday's psalm inspired a prayer; today's inspires praise. Verse 13 says, "Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel, from everlasting to everlasting". Blessed be the Lord, the God whose plans are perfect and whose ways always reflect His great love for mankind.

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Thanks Michelle and mom for your comments! Michelle your synopsis of David's wife incident is hilarious! The bible is awesome!! Michelle, thanks so much for being such a faithful reader!

Mom, how i Love ya and your comments, they are so eloquent!

Your names have been put in the 'get yo five in' contest bucket!!

See you tommorow!

Anonymous said...

I continued with the book of James today (1:11-19) It says not say that God is tempting me when we feel tempted. But I thought this is what God did. I'm a bit confused on this. Any thoughts??

I liked the recap of Joseph's life, I like hearing about people of the Bible in words I can understand as opposed to 'Bible language'!

Ashleigh

Healthy Chelle said...

Might I begin to take a stab at this one????

Notice verse 14 says "but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed."

There are a few different definitions of the word tempt.

One is to test.

Another is to entice to do wrong.

God definitely tests us!

God can not however, entice us to do wrong as it would be contrary to His nature. (Totally stole that wording from the Truth Project!)

I don't even think we can blame temptation on the devil.

It is our own sinful nature that allows us to be tempted.

It seems to me that even in James temptation isn't really the issue for temptation alone is not a sin (right??).

The issue is what do we do when we are tempted. Do we turn to God to help us walk away from it or do we give in to our evil desires?

I am not totally sure that I didn't just confuse myself up there.

Hope I didn't confuse you Ash :)

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Hey Ash,
Can I get you to clarify your question. The 'not' in their has confused me and I am just unsure how to answer the question. Thanks girl and great question!

Susan

Healthy Chelle said...

I think it is supposed to say

"It says not to say God is tempting me"

Anonymous said...

yea, sorry... it says: "no one should say 'God is tempting me'"

I think I understand, Michelle. So he tests us but does not tempt us? I never thought about those as having different meanings i guess.

Thanks!

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Right-o-! James 1:13 says, "Let NO One say when he is tempted 'I am tempted by God'; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone"

Thus, when tempted, we must remember it is not God tempting us. But instead, like vs. 14 says, "But each one is TEMPTED when he is drawn away by his OWN desires and enticed."

Have a great day!!

Susan

Margaret S. said...

May 7 reading: Psalm 42:1-11 When God seems so far away, the soul falls into despair. But David ask why his soul should feel that way? There is no need to despair because our hope is in the Lord. He is our help and our God. But even as we hope, our souls thirst deeply for just a word from the Lord...for the refreshing presence of our God.

MNK said...

Today's Reading is from Joel 1 - Not a happy time in Israel's history but one I can learn from.
When His people turn away from Him there are always consequences, but isn't it amazing that when we ask for forgiveness it's always there waiting for us - we just have to not be too proud to ask for it.