Friday, May 2, 2008

Last Night = Amazing!

Yesterday was the Third Day concert. If you don't know, they are and have been the #1 Christian Rock Band for a long time now!

Well, a brief history is due now. In our early days of marriage, Michaels' former youth pastor used to help with getting volunteers to set up for Christian concerts that came through Louisville. We had the blessing of being able to do a lot of volunteer set up for bands. Bands like Audio Adrenaline, Newsboys, Big Daddy Weave, Jennifer Knapp, and Yes Third Day. In fact, we have met them on two occasions.

The first was the most hilarious for us. We were done with set up and the crew was like 'hey, we are heading out for some wiffle ball, wanna join us.' We were like 'Shah, yeh!' So, we head out to the baseball field in back and as we grow ever closer to it, I notice that it is not just the crew out there. My heart just about stops when I notice who is standing on the pitching mound. It is none other than the Mac Powell! I was in shock. Needless to say we had an incredible time with the guys and they kicked our butts 24 -0. They are authentic guys and that is awesome. Side note- on the bench by the field were sitting two people we would later come to know as friends. Yup, Chris and Leslie Carder were sitting there and we said hey to them, but we had no idea that 3 years later we would be at the same church!

Our second encounter with them, was as runners. There was no set up crew, so we ran there errands or whatever. However, the drummer and mark (the guitarist) wanted to go down to Bardstown Rd. to Doo Wop shop. So, we took them in our Volvo and took them down there. Wow, that was really cool! They were hilarious guys!

So, it was awesome to reunite with them last night! Michael sat on the front row and too one of our youth with him, Ben Wallen. Well, I could not show up until about 9:20(had to work until 9). WEll, I later found out that at the beginning of the show when Mac was introducing the band, he included an introduction of Ben! LOL. Then, during the encore performance Mac came down and handed him his tambourine and wanted him to play it. Well, if you know Ben, bless his heart, he just ain't that coordinated and he was trying his best. First of all, he held it backwards and started to play it. Mac gently turned it around for him. And then Michael looked at him and said, 'just play to the sound of my hands' LOL. Ben did a great job, but he did look like a deer stuck in the head lights! Bless his heart!

After the concert some of our other youth were there and we all spend time talking about Ben's 'deer in the head light' incident. Then Mac came out and the youth flocked to him. He was so gracious to them, plus Chris and Leslie and Octavio and Scott had returned. Mac was shaking all of our hands and when he came to me, I said, 'you probably don't remember me, but we played wiffle ball a long time ago.' He remembered and said, 'we should do that again sometime'. AHHHHH. It was an amazing night and it is just so refreshing to see a band that just loves the Lord and it is awesome to see what great friends Mac and Chris(our worship leader) are. Usually, fame corrupts friendships, but Mac has not forgotten his roots and treats Chris like gold and that has been such a testimony for Michael and I and I think it was for our youth last night too who got to see first hand Mac's care for them and his care for Chris and Leslie!

'Father thank you for the body of Christ! How beautiful it can be when you are the center of it all! -Amen'

Michelle, if you read this, I sooooooooo wish you could have been there!

Keep working on your challenge:

1. Make time for God
2. Be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger!!

See you Monday and don't forget the contest starts Monday!!

Love to you all,
Susan

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am totally working on this quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger thing!

Thanks susan!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing, I love Third Day. That is very cool.
Have a great weekend!

Healthy Chelle said...

What do you mean "if I am reading this". Girl, I am your #1 fan! I would have commented earlier but I was cleaning with Elizabeth today :)

I wish I would have been there too. I opted to stay and watch the girlies instead.

Ahh, the sacrifices a wife makes so that her hubby can go and have a good time :)

I always get to go have fun and he seldom does so I was really, really happy when I saw how happy he was!

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Michell, you go girl. And by the way, you are my number one fan. Thank you! Jeannine, it is GREAT to hear from you. At first I was like 'Jeannine'??? Err. Then Kelly told me at work that she told you about it and I was like, 'way awesome, she commented on my blog!'. Thanks so much for the love Jeannine. Hey everybody, pray for Jeannine, she is going for an interview at ST. X on Tuesday for a counselor position. Keep her lifted up to the Father!! Thanks. Ash, how is the Bible thingy??
Have a great weekend everybody!! See you Monday and don't forget the 'Get Yo Five In' contest starts on Monday!! Tell your friends!! Love to you all!! Kelly, have a great weekend girl! And Kelly and J, don't have too much fun at the pretty pony party! Love you all! Susan

Leigh Ann said...

I just read all of your blogs today. I was referred to your blog by Healthy Chelle and am glad I checked it out. Two blogs for fitness- physically and spiritually. Love it! I also love your challenge. This is an area I need to work in, and I can never pass up a challenge! Thank you!