Friday, May 23, 2008

Cain and Abel

These two were the sons of Adam and Eve. Cain's name meant 'to acquire, to get', and Abel's name meant 'breath' or 'temporary'. I believe names say a lot about a person, especially in biblical times. It is interesting that Abel's life was so 'temporary, just like a breath' and Cain's desire was 'to get, to acquire'.

They both brought a sacrifice to the Lord. God was pleased with Abel's sacrifice and displeased with Cain's. Why God was displeased with Cain's sacrifice is a mystery. It is certain that from the time they were born until now in their adult lives that God had told them how to sacrifice. It could have been that Cain did not bring the right sacrifice, or that his sacrifice was given with the wrong attitude. His desire is 'to get, to acquire' and thus, giving it to the Lord may have been a difficult thing for him, because it meant being giving away what he had 'acquired'. I personally believe that he gave with the wrong attitude. That he came to God with his sacrifice in order to give it to God, but really came with arms closed, desiring to keep what he had acquired and to keep it for himself.

God is very gracious in the next few verses. God is gracious to ask Cain 'Why are you angry?' God knows why he is angry, but he desires that Cain talk to him...freely...openly...honestly. Wow, the creator of the world just wants his creation coming to Him with honesty, even though what we might be feeling are feelings against Him. We don't know if Cain said anything to God, it pretty much sounds like he just sulked. God then says, 'If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door, and its desire is for you, but you must master it.' God knows Cain's tendency to give into sin. God desires that Cain rise up an gain mastery over sin. How God words sin here really freeks me out...'sin is crouching at the door and its desire is for you.' eek, 'its desire is for you'. That is a new way to think about sin. Sin wants to have mastery over us, its desire is US. Cain, unfortunately gave into that sin that was crouching at the door, for he killed his brother Abel and disobeyed God.

His curse was to be a wanderer. Cain did not like this, of course, and feared being killed. Even after all his disobedience God is tender and graceful and places on him a mark so that no one will kill him.

I believe I learned a lot about God today. His desire for us to listen to Him. That when He does not accept something of us, it is not for us to sulk, it is for us to get honest before God and then listen to what He wants and then to do it. The commentary I read said this, 'God's Word whether satisfying to us or not, is still the authoritative Word of God and is to be obeyed.' and it said 'Be careful of your reaction to God's blessing on others. Abel's blessing didn't take anything away from Cain. Don't let pride prevent you from obeying God.'

I struggle a lot with seeing others blessed with losing weight. I have struggled with this for a long time and it is really beginning to get me down. I try and I try to lose weight and I have weeks where it comes off and then I have weeks where it comes back. I have not been able to break 140 for 2 years now. I get to 141 and I get so excited and then the next week comes and I am 142, or 143 and I am like, give me a break! Everyone around me seems to be blessed with the losing weight blessing and here I stand getting no where. Today's messsage is really showing me, that I just need to get open and honest before God about my anger, disappointment, frustration. I need to stop looking at others and sulking and I need to just do what God wants me to do: Love Him and trust Him for help.

Be praying for me in this specific area, it has been a thorn in my side for 2 years now and I am ready to start loving myself(even though I only see myself in very negative ways right now) and my body(curves and all). This is going to take a long time, but I don't want to sulk like Cain did and let all that bitterness create a crazy person underneath. No thanks!

How can I be praying for you this weekend??

NChrist, Susan

7 comments:

Healthy Chelle said...

Praying for you!

I know you've heard this before but I am going to say it anyway - You are beautiful!

Remember, the people around you who may be losing weight are reading this blog and wishing they were better at reading the Word.

I love you and you are doing wonderful!

Anonymous said...

I know it's Friday, but I have questions to ask. As I am reading I have started writing down anything I do not fully understand. And I have actually done a little research myself, but there's one I haven't answered yet.

My first question was why they use oil to anoint people. For this I found an website that says "The use of oil in this manner stems from the fact that scented oils were a luxury in the ancient world, so they were only used for special occasions - including especially religious ones. They were also used for their medicinal qualities."

My second question is based on James 5:11 where it mentions Job's perserverence. I was wondering what he had perservered through, but since I have finished James I decided to go and read Job next. I have already began to see how he was tested by the devil. SO I answered that question myself too.

My last one was from James 5:12 where is says "Above all, my brothers, do not swear....let your yes be yes and your no be no or you will be condemned." So I've been looking for a differing definition to swear as I know it because this verse makes it sound like swearing is synonomous to lying. Do you know if the definition was different in these times or am I reading this wrong?

Thanks for the help, I'm glad I have people to go to for help.

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

In my concordance it has this for 'swear' = 'take oath, vow'. So, in James it means not to vow by heaven or earth. Just let your yes be yes and your no, no. Matthew 5:34-37 is a great example of explaining why not to vow to those things for they hold great sifnificance. Thanks for the questions, they are awesome!! Have a great weekend:)

Margaret S. said...

Great questions, Ashleigh...keep up that research. The Greek dictionary in Strong's Concordance confirms Susan's answer to your "swear" question. Instead of taking an oath, always be truthful so that people will know that your yes means yes and your no means no...they won't need an oath. They know you are trustworthy by your values and lifestyle....this approach is very effective in parenting children.

For those who don't know, between 3-4 years ago I lost 112 pounds using the First Place program which combines the physical and spiritual approach to eating, exercise and and lifestyle. Over the past two very stressful years, I have gained back 20 of those pounds....I promised myself I would not do that, but you know how promises to yourself are so easily broken.

Now I am beginning to get back into the First Place for Health program again. I would love to find a local group but haven't so far. So maybe all of you can be my support group and maybe I can encourage you too. The study books that go with this program are just great...I began with the first book this week, "Giving Christ First Place". The Bible verse to memorize is: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousnesss, and all these things will be given to you as well." (Matt 6:33)

Lessons learned this week:

Putting Christ in his proper (first) place means a believer develops new commitments and new priorities. These will include:

Knowing and Obeying God
Demonstrating Faith and Trust
Giving Generously
Loving God and People
Praying

So how do I determine what comes first? That is a decision over which I have control. I am going back to what I learned in First Place before:

Do the daily First Place Bible study
Follow the instructions for eating healthy
Exercise 3-4 times per week
Encourage others
Pray (Praying God's Word by Beth Moore is helpful)

May God bless each of you and keep you safe this busy weekend. Your sister in Christ, Margaret

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Mom, I would be glad to join you. I will see you tommorow and we can talk.

Simple Creeed Youth Ministry said...

Mom, I would be glad to join you. I will see you tommorow and we can talk.

Healthy Chelle said...

WHERE ARE YOU??